Monday, April 25, 2011

Arraignment of A Speeding Ticket - My personal Story

This is a lengthy post & a personal post so you may want to skip it.



On March 10, 2011 I was coaching an LDS church basketball game at Regionals.   I have had this nagging cough that was giving me this nasty tickle.   We had 2 games that night with a game in between.  During the break between games, I decided at the spur of the moment,  I was going to go for a quick drive down the street to get me a drink to see if I could try and get this cough to subside.

I am a cautious driver to say the least, but I have caught myself upon an occasion to find my speed-o-meter a little over the limit, but as I was driving down Durfee Street I was conscious of it...I remember going exactly 30 mph..the legal speed limit.    I proceed to turn left onto SR112 and got to talking (and coughing) to my daughter Shaylei about the game we had just won.    When all of the sudden...I see a cop and I remember thinking to myself, oh I sure hope I wasn't speeding (didn't look down at my speed-o-meter..just carefully watched the cop from my rear view mirror...to see him flip around and proceed to turn his lights on....dang I thought..I must of been speeding.

So by this time I am right on the west side of Maverick...my destination.   My first thoughts were..oh crap your dad is going to kill me.   My second thought..how are we going to pay this ticket, we are struggling so much to even put food on the table and my last thought was well, there goes my perfect driving record..and now the insurance is going to go up..how are we going to afford that.     Its amazing when money is an issue in your life...how much worry just a simple little thing can cause so much distress in ones life.   To me, a worry wart..its very hard to move past.

I wait the 5 days before I go in to see what is needed to take care of the ticket.   Because the officer said I was going 11 over..(I didn't question the officer because honestly I had no idea if that is true or not because I never did look down at my speed-o-meter).    The nice lady at the clerks office Jeri Bolinder, said the fine is xxxxx much money...I gasped and proceeded to cry...what a cry baby I am..and for those who know me know I wear my emotions right on my sleeve or in most cases I am crying just thinking about it.    Jeri was so nice..and hands me the Kleenex's and says it will be okay, the Judge is really nice if you can not afford to pay, just tell him at your hearing and he will make reasonable arrangements for you.    What a sweet, sweet lady.

So my arraignment was set about 5 weeks from the day I went in, which was today.   I had a really rough night to say the least.   I stew about every scenario that could come about.   I went over and over in my mind of what I was going to say...or do...then I worry what if I have a panic attack right there..I prayed a lot last night...praying for comfort and for peace and some sleep at that point.

I get up and get the kids off to school, dress up in the nicest clothes that I own which isn't much and make my way to the city office building in Grantsville.   My arraignment was at 9:30 am.   I had no idea what to expect to say the least.    I soon found out, that all the people waiting were waiting to be arraigned as well.   All these people, with appointments at the same time.  So, what I thought was going to be 10 minutes in front of a judge by myself, turned out to be a 2-1/2 hour wait in front of all the people that were being seen.   You had to stand before the judge and all the other people.   These people could be your neighbors your friends..and you already know they are people right in your community.    I didn't want to know what they have done.   I didn't feel it was any of their business to know why I was there, and I am sure they felt the same as me,  and I especially didn't want to humiliate myself.


So as we all sat there...the nerves were getting so bad.  It was now almost 10 am and no judge.   People were talking and saying that Judge Dar Butcher, is a fair Judge, but make sure you address him as Your Honor...or he might not be so nice.   So I worried...will I remember to call him Your Honor, will I cry in front of him...will I be able to tell him how I felt and why I was speeding.     The cases 1 by 1 was presented.   DUI offenses, Domestic Violence, Theft, Speeding and on and on.   The Judge seemed to be very helpful and fair.   He was a man that showed compassion, but it was almost my turn.    They called my name...I stood up and proceeded to the microphone.   He asked me to state my name...and proceeded to tell me the charges that were up against me.   I acknowledged with Yes, Your Honor (I was so proud of myself).   He asked me my plea:   Guilty I said.   He asked what do you ask of this Court ...a payment plan Your Honor  ( I had totally forgot to ask for Community Service) but I rolled with it.   He said, we can do that.   He asked me what happened..I proceeded to tell him my story...I started to cry.  (dang emotions) and I excused myself.   I said Your Honor, this is my first ticket...I am sorry for my offense.   He looked at me, and said yes, you do have a clean driving record..and I can see that you have beat your own self up enough over this ticket..your dues are paid...I am dismissing your case.   WHAT your Honor?   I am dismissing your case...and proceed to say, .I know I will not see you in here again...and my reply no Your Honor, I have learned my lesson...and he says I know you have.    Thank you for your time Mrs. Fischer and I proceeded to walk out the court room.   As I was opening and closing the door, I hear him say...Ladies and Gentlemen...I have been a Judge for a long time...and I hear and see a lot of crying in my court room...but this is a person that you just seen, that is truly remorseful and has inflected enough punishment on her self, that in my opinion her dues are paid. 

All I can say is this dear Judge. Dar Butcher is a sweet sweet man, and listens to each and every person, and takes to thought each and every ones situation.   All I can say now, is I can breath a little easier, and Thank my Heavenly Father for a tender mercy in my life, for answering my prayer.


This court is adjorned...

No comments: